Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Tools That Change the Way We Think

RELIANCE.  "I can't believe I forgot how to make that recipe!  Oh wait, let me just find it in my favorites bar."  "What time did that movie start again?  Check Moviefone you idiot!"  "I wonder what my friends are doing tonight?  Just check out the good ol' Facebook wall."  We now live in a society where our minds merely consume ideas and spit them out within a couple of minutes.  We have adapted to the fact that the internet is our savior and without "him" we would be lost.  NO WE WOULDN'T!  People lived thousands of years before Twitter, before Instagram, before Tumblr, and actually enjoyed life. 
Although it may appear that my anger is seething through this very text, I am apart of that percent which views the internet as a heavenly being.  I am constantly checking my phone.  In fact I have gotten to a point where I believe my leg is vibrating when in reality I am fantasizing with the idea that someone has actually texted me.  I must admit that I have become a "tech holic".
The question now becomes, how should we as a society fight this addiction?  Should we pursue the lives of those in the novel Fahrenheit 451, but instead burn houses that contain technology rather then books?  Or is there a less radical path that we may pursue?  Whatever the solution may be, my way of life and millions upon billions of others have been changed because of technology.  Time will only tell if this leads to our advancement, or to our demise.

No comments:

Post a Comment