Monday, November 5, 2012

Vocabulary: Fall List #11

Affinity- relationship by marriage
"If this affinity did not exist,  I believe I would have no relationship with this woman."


Bilious- of or indicative of a peevish ill nature disposition
"My bilious towards the peculiar man was something I could not hold back."

Cognate- of the same nature
"The cognate discipline was used by all of the teachers."

Corollary- A proposition inferred Immediately from a proved proposition with little or no additional proof
"The corollary after being shot in the head is most certainly death."

Cul-de-sac- a pouch
"I have lived in a cul-de-sac my entire life."

Derring-do- a daring action
"Evil Kenevil committed many derring-do's during his lifetime."

Divination- The art or practice that seeks to foretell future events or discover hidden knowledge due to the interpretation of omens
"My mom has become very interested in divination."

Elixir- A substance capable of prolonging life indefinitely
"I hope to never find an elixir due to the idea that we as humans are supposed to die eventually."

Folderol- a useless accessory
"Many athletes purchase folderols because of their competitive spirit."

Gamut- an entire range or series
"The gamut of weapons in the artillery would have frightened any opposition."

Hoi polloi- the General populace
"The hoi polloi all agreed that Obama should continue to be our president."

Ineffable- incapable of being expressed in words
"The love I have for my girlfriend is ineffable."

Lucubration- to study by night
"Most lucubration is done by prominent inventors."

Mnemonic- intended to assist memory
"The mnemonic device was infective when trying to bring my grandfather's hearing back."

Obloquy- abusive language
"Parents who use obloquy are often bad parents."

Parameter-
guideline, boundary or outer limit
"The parameters of the castle where unknown to the architect until he realized how large he had made it."

Pundit- a learned man
"I find pundits to be quite interesting."

Risible- provoking laughter
"The risible joke to one might not seem so funny to another."

Symptomatic- having the characteristics of a certain disease but arising of a different cause
"Symptomatic of a lack of good judgment."

Volte-face- a reversal in policy 
"I was surprised by the volte-face until I realized that it would benefit my future actions."

No comments:

Post a Comment