Tuesday, November 27, 2012

No Exit

1.  If I was to create a hell I believe it would be filled with things that I hate the most or find most annoying.  This could be quite a long list but I will try to narrow it down.  Disrespecting others, having constant worries, and feeling lost would be elements that would make up my own hell.  I certainly believe the mind can be in hell in a beautiful place.  Yes, I believe there is a way to find peace in a hellish environment.
2.  Hell can certainly be described as too much of anything without a break.  Whether a negative or positive constant, too much of one thing often looses its own value.  Once it looses a sense of humanity, hell begins to take over.
3.  Satre creates a sense of place through dialogue by simply giving a brief description of the setting around the characters.  "To my uncle's place. He's the head valet here. He has a room on the third floor."  Certainly knowing that you can't leave a specific place is an overwhelming tortuous event, however also knowing that the ability to close your eye's is impossible makes for a truly perfect hell.  Garcin surprisingly remains relatively calm throughout the entire scene.  If I was in Garcin's position my ability to function would be completely shut down.  I would never like to twist my daily activities around so that everyday habits become hell, however if I had to I believe my utter need for perfection would truly make my life a living hell.  If I constantly made sure every aspect in my life was perfect, I would certainly create a hell on Earth for myself.  There is most certainly a pattern of circumstances that reinforces the experience of hell and I believe that is simply repetition of a certain event that destroys one's self morals.  

No comments:

Post a Comment