Monday, August 20, 2012

Reflections on Week 1

  1. I believe that the only factor that is going to affect my participation in this class will be my extracurricular activities at school.  Because I am involved in sports, my energy might slowly decrease after time, especially since I have a very early class.  I am also very much involved in ASB, which requires my presence in many activities during school.  Although having a zero period works against me during my involvement in sports, ASB activities are often not during this period.
  2. The most incredible learning experience occurred when I went to my first Special Olympics club event at the local bowling alley.  I learned how truly lucky I am to help kids and adults who society deems as "different".  In actuality these athletes turned out to be some of the most interesting people I have ever met.  They wanted nothing but respect from me, which is a characteristic most lack when interacting with the athletes.  I finally understood how much the event changed me after I reflected on it later in the day.  I was lucky enough to have a friend introduce me to the athletes in order for me to feel more comfortable around them.  It is certainly an event I plan on never forgetting.
  3. In this class I am most excited about the motivation I am going to receive from Dr. Preston to do things I have never imagined.  I believe ingenuity and greatness lies within everyone, it is the spark (motivation) however, that people always seem to lack.  I am hoping that Dr. Preston will create that spark so that my accomplishments for the year will exceed even my own expectations.  This hope might not sound practical, but I believe it can certainly become a reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment