Thursday, August 16, 2012

Additional Thoughts: Austen/Montaigne Essay

  1. If I would have had more time I would have written about the similarities in the style of both Austen and Montaigne.  I feel that they both express their beliefs through different characters.  Austen with Elizabeth, and Montaigne with numerous well known thinkers such as Plato.  As time was cut short I also believe I did not address the question of whether or not I agreed with the statement made by David Foster Wallace.  If I would have had an appropriate amount of time I would have completely agreed to the statement made by Wallace.  Although Montaigne is courageous in his effort to try and describe his idea of the different aspects of human existence, he ultimately does not do it any justice.  One must realize that it is not his lack of writing that caused him to come up very short, but the fact that the human existence is just too robust to describe in one book.  This is what I would have written if I was given more time.
  2. After I left it occurred to me that I had lacked in my essay an entire conclusion.  I feel though if I was given an adequate enough of time to finish, I would have merely reworded and tied together my points I had made throughout the essay.
  3. The interruption actually jogged my thought process.  I started to think of more ideas when not concealed by four gray walls.  I felt as if it actually improved my essay.  When not confined to the grueling process of writing an essay in a small classroom, my thoughts became easier to navigate through.  I find that I am able to think better, like most, without pressure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment