Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pre-Will Questions

a) Sadly I must admit I know little about Hamlet, the "Melancholy Dane."  However after brief research (on Wikipedia) I discovered that Hamlet was a tragedy written by William Shakespeare.  The play exaggerates the revenge Prince Hamlet takes on the character Claudius who murders King Hamlet.
b) I know that Shakespeare was an English poet and playwright who truly defined the word drama.  I also know that the extent of his writing has baffled historians and literature lovers alike because of the limited amount of words in the English language during his time period.
c) I believe we (and I am talking about my generation) have been handed down by past generations an ugly reputation of Shakespeare himself.  Every time his name is mentioned in a crowd of teenagers a shriek of horror is bound to emerge.  This is not our fault however because we have merely been bequeathed this terrible reputation.
d) The only way to have people excited about anything is getting them involved.  This play should be no different.  By simply acting out the multiple characters, students experience a whole new aspect of the play rather then reading the text off of dare I say, a boring school book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment